CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Globalization


Globalization is an idea that is discussed in nearly all of my political science classes. In previous generations terms like the "Cold War" or the "Space Age" have been used to describe the time, but the current generation in which we live is called the "Age of Globalization." It's real, and it's here to stay. The explosion in technological innovation has changed the way we live our lives but is it for the better? The following is a great simplistic explanation of globalization I found on the internet: People around the globe are more connected to each other than ever before. Information and money flow more quickly than ever. Goods and services produced in one part of the world are increasingly available in all parts of the world. International travel is more frequent. International communication is commonplace. This phenomenon has been titled "globalization."

This is an issue that has already affected each and every one of us whether we realize it or not and it is not going away. Borders no longer exist to business, politics, social activists, or culture. Just last week an example of globalization hit me smack in the face. A friend of mine ordered a pair of boots from an internet site that was offering these boots at about half the rate you can buy them in the local store. You paid online and they came shipped directly from China. At first I was very excited to order a discounted pair but then I realized that if I did so I would be going against something that is rooted deep in my core. Please understand, I do not judge at all if you have ordered from these types of places, I know these are tough times and sometimes we all need to save money, myself included. I just made a personal decision that the cost wasn't worth the savings. If I had saved the money on this pair of boots I would have cut out the city, county, state, department store, mall, etc. If enough transactions like this take place, the jobs, establishments, and services that we all enjoy as Americans might just disappear.

Did you know that if you shop or eat at locally owned establishments the money you spend cycles through your city and state an average of six times? If you shop at a "big box" retailer or chain restaurant the local economy sees it once. If you shop online directly from another country the local, state, and federal economy receive no benefit.

Please understand that I know we all do what we can with what we have. This is just food for thought. I am far from perfect in my shopping habits, I just happen to think about it more than the average American. What are your thoughts?

For more information and a great read on globalization, I suggest The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you ever read his later book, "Hot Flat and Crowded"? He tends to hammer his points a little too often to the point of almost tiresome, but they're good points nonetheless.

Erin L. said...

No, I haven't read his newer book. I'll have to pick it up sometime.